Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Random Crap...or maybe not?

So the other day I was looking at a scouting group of ants searching my kitchen floor for food remnants. Usually they attack the dogs' food bowls minutes after we put food into them. But a while back my BFF turned me onto a cool little food bowl attachment.
So its called a Sani-Moat Ant Barrier and I got it at Petco. Basically the white circle in the center is a strong sticker-type thing. So you peel off the protective cover and stick it to the bottom of your average food bowl. After you've gotten it all stickied on it looks like this...


Now the base detaches from the bowl with just a little twist and then you have two pieces...like so...


Then you just squeeze a little liquid dish soap into the "moat" and twist the top back on. And for some reason the ants don't cross the soap moat. Pretty cool, huh?

But here's what I was wondering. What if you had a particularly crafty group of ants. And these ants threw themselves, one after the other kamikaze-style, into the soap moat. Until they had built up a dam of ants, and a bridge of sorts. Then the less self-sacrificing ants could just walk across their fallen comrades corpses and get to the food. But then I figured those little fire ants probably wouldn't do that. It would probably be something better conceived by those big army ants, and they're better organized any way...and it likely wouldn't take a whole platoon even, just like 3 or 4 ants.

I shared this idea with my BFF and she asked "why they wouldn't just throw leaves onto the soap and crawl across the leaves?" Then I was all..."because there's no glory in walking across a leaf bridge!"

Have you ever had random crap thoughts like this and hoped that those you shared it with wouldn't just cock their heads to the side and whisper to your family members "Has the ALWAYS been 'special'?"

7 comments:

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

hehe I love your idea!!!! and you know what lucky for me just about everyone I am surround by is as goofy as I am so no head cocking going on here!!!!!

Unknown said...

I am always completely random.....I just think it is just part of my charm, and probably another reason why I blog stalk you.

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

You know. . . ants ARE tricky like that. . . and they would totally give their life for the greater good of the colony. . . I'm not getting one of those doggie-food-boat-moats! It's cruelty to ants!

Save the ants!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Hey I am back to comment again....I found a new APP for you...got to my site, I even mention you personally, lol

Sally's World said...

actually thats a really good idea..but those blasted ants will find a way across given time...they are probably building a boat as we speak!!!

America's Next Top Mommy said...

I'm sure those ants are at this moment coming up with a new strategy wherein they learn how to scuba dive across the moat.

Susan said...

THANK GOD I'm not the only crazy person to start wondering about things I thought no one else would ever waste time on.

Whew.

You have built ones self confidence today.

Thanks Dorsey!

 
Searching For My Inner Skinny © 2008 Template by Exotic Mommie Illustration by Dapina